Office: 332 Grigg Hall
Vasily N. Astratov is a professor in the Department of Physics and Optical Science at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte. He received his M.S. from the St. Petersburg State University, Russia, in 1981, and received his Ph.D. degree from the A.F. Ioffe Physical-Technical Institute, St. Petersburg, in 1986. At this institution he had accomplished a career as a research scientist, rising through the ranks from staff member (1981-1992), group leader (1992-1997), to senior member of staff in 1997. In his group at Ioffe Institute he pioneered studies of synthetic opals as novel 3D self-assembled photonic crystals for visible light. In 1997-2001 he worked as a postdoctoral scholar at the University of Sheffield where he developed novel surface coupling techniques for studying photonic crystal waveguides and semiconductor microcavities. He joined UNC-Charlotte in 2002. He was a topical editor for the journal Optics Express in 2005-2011 and an editor and co-editor for two Focus Issues of this journal. He has served as a technical committee member for major international conferences including CLEO/QELS 2006-07 and 2012-13, ICTON 2009, and OECC/ACOFT 2008. He is a recipient of a number of awards including International Visitor Award in France by Triangle de la Physique in 2011, Senior Visiting EPSRC Fellow Award in the UK in 2006, Award of the Exchange Program adopted between Royal Society and Russian Academy of Sciences in 1996, and the Award in the Annual Competition from A.F. Ioffe Physical-Technical Institute in 1985. During his career he has published more than 130 technical publications which have been cited more than 2400 times. His Hirsch index is h=23. He is an author and coauthor of 10 patents. His current research spans a broad range of optical effects in mesoscale photonic structures including photonic nanojets, unusual sensor capabilities, resonant light pressure and optical super-resolution effects.
· Novel structures and materials: microcavities and photonic crystals, coupled resonator optical waveguides, opals.
· Quantum optics: light-matter interaction, optical coupling between high-Q cavities, localization of light, polaritons.
· Optoelectronics applications: integrated optical circuits, delay lines, switches and spectrometers on a chip.
Ioffe Physical-Technical Institute of the
· Senior Fellow (1997) and Member of Research Staff (1981-1997)
Leader of the group pioneered studies of synthetic opals (1993-1997)
Honors and Awards
· 2006 Senior Visiting EPSRC Fellow Award in the UK, University of Sheffield (3 months)
· 1996 Award of Royal Society & Russian Academy of Sciences, Program of Exchange Visits (2 months)
· 1993 Award in the Annual Competition, Division of Solid State Physics, A.F. Ioffe Institute
· 1985 First Prize in the Annual Research Competition (with co-authors), A.F. Ioffe Institute
· 1985 First Prize in the Annual Young Investigator Competition, A.F. Ioffe Institute
· Editor, Focus Issue of OPEX, Physics and Applications of Microresonators, Dec. 2007
· Referee, NASA postdoctoral program 2008
· Organizer, Gordon-type Workshop on Physics of Microresonators, Charlotte, 2007
· Member & Alternate Chair, subcommittee, CLEO/QELS’06-07, Fundamentals of Metamaterials
· Reviewer, Petroleum Research Fund, 2005
· Panelist, DFG: Priority Program Photonic Crystals in Germany, 2000-2005
· Frequent Reviewer, Applied Physics Letters, Advanced Materials, Physical Review B, Langmuir, et al.
· Ph.D. Program Committee Member, UNCC Program in Optical Science and Engineering, 2002-present
· Faculty Council Member, UNC-Charlotte, 2011-2012
· Faculty Search Committee, 2004-05
· Research Grants (>$1.2M as a sole PI in 4 years)
· Journal Articles (71)
· Book Chapters (2)
· Patents (10)
· Invited Talks at Conferences (24)
· Presentations at Conferences (44)
· Invited Seminars (47)
· PHYS 2102: Physics for Science and Engineering II
· PHYS 4241/6141: Quantum Theory I
· OPTI 6110/8110: Optics Seminar
V.N. Astratov, Photonic Microresonator Research and Applications edited by I. Chremmos, N. Uzunoglu and O. Schwelb (Springer), 423-457, 2010.
T.C. Hutchens, A. Darafsheh, A. Fardad, A.N. Antoszyk, H.S. Ying, V.N. Astratov, and N.M. Fried, J. of Biomed. Opt. 17, 068004 (2012).
A. Darafshesh and V.N. Astratov, Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 161121 (2012).
S. V. Boriskina, M. Povinelli, V. N. Astratov, A.V. Zayats, and V.A. Podolskiy, Opt. Express 19, 22024-22028 (2011).O. Svitelskiy, Y. Li, A. Darafsheh, M. Sumetsky, D. Carnegie, E. Rafailov, and V.N. Astratov, Opt. Lett. 36, 2862-2865 (2011).
A. Darafsheh, A. Fardad, N.M. Fried, A.N. Antoszyk, H.S. Ying, and V.N. Astratov, Opt. Express 19, 3440-3448 (2011).Selected for the Virtual Journal for Biomedical Optics 6, Issue 3 (2011).
B.D. Jones, M. Oxborrow, V.N. Astratov, M. Hopkinson, A. Tahraoui, M.S. Skolnick, and A.M. Fox, Opt. Express 18, 22578 (2010).S. Yang and V.N. Astratov, Opt. Lett. 34, 2057-2059 (2009).
S. Yang and V.N. Astratov, Appl. Phys. Lett. 92, 261111 (2008). ISI times cited 21
Selected for the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology 18, Issue 2 (2008).
K.R. Hiremath and V.N.
Astratov, Opt. Express 16, 5421-5426 (2008).
Selected for the Virtual Journal for
Biomedical Optics 3, Issue 5 (2008).
V.N. Astratov, Opt. Express 15, 17171 (2007). Selected for the Virtual Journal for Biomedical Optics 3, Issue 1 (2008).
V.N. Astratov and S.P. Ashili, Focus Issue on Physics and Applications of Microresonators, Opt. Express 15, 17351-17361 (2007). Selected for the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology 17, Issue 10 (2008).
V.N. Astratov, S. Yang, S.
Lam, B.D. Jones, D. Sanvitto, D.M. Whittaker, A.M. Fox, M.S. Skolnick,
A. Tahraoui, P. W. Fry, and M.
Hopkinson, Appl. Phys. Lett. 91, 171115 (2007) .
ISI times cited 20.
. ISI times cited 20.
A.M. Kapitonov and V.N.
Astratov, Opt. Lett.
32, 409-411 (2007).
ISI times cited 45
ISI times cited 45
Selected Highly Cited Publications (Total number of ISI citations is about 2400)
Y.A. Vlasov, V.N. Astratov, A.V. Baryshev, A.A. Kaplyanskii, O.Z. Karimov, and M.F. Limonov, Phys. Rev. E 61, 5784-5793 (2000). ISI times cited 210
Y.A. Vlasov, V.N. Astratov, O.Z. Karimov, A.A. Kaplyanskii, V.N. Bogomolov, and A.V. Prokofiev, Phys. Rev. B 55, R13357-13360 (1997), ISI times cited 193
V.N. Astratov, V.N. Bogomolov, A.A. Kaplyanskii, A.V. Prokofiev, L.A. Samoilovich, S.M. Samoilovich, and Y.A. Vlasov, Nuovo Cimento D 17, 1349-1354 (1995), ISI times cited: 172
Y.A. Vlasov, K. Luterova, I. Pelant, B. Honerlage, and V.N. Astratov, Appl. Phys. Lett., v.71, No.12, pp.1616-1618 (1997), ISI times cited 155
V.N. Astratov, D.M. Whittaker, I.S. Culshaw, R.M. Stevenson, M.S. Skolnick, T.F. Krauss, and R.M. DeLaRue, Phys. Rev. B 60, R16255-16258 (1999), ISI times cited 132
G. Panzarini, L.C. Andreani, A. Armitage, D. Baxter, M.S. Skolnick, V.N. Astratov, J.S. Roberts, A.V. Kavokin, M.V. Vladimirova, and M.A. Kaliteevski
Phys. Rev. B 59, 5082-5089 (1999). ISI times cited 108
V.N. Astratov, J.P. Franchak, and S.P. Ashili, Appl. Phys. Lett. 85, 5508-5510 (2004). ISI times cited 88
V.N. Astratov, I.S. Culshaw, R.M. Stevenson, D.M. Whittaker, M.S. Skolnick, T.F. Krauss, and R.M. DeLaRue, J. of Lightwave Technology, v.17, 2050-2057 (1999), ISI times cited 82
V.N. Astratov, A.M. Adawi, S. Fricker, M.S. Skolnick, D.M. Whittaker, and P.N. Pusey, Phys. Rev. B 66, art.165215 (2002). ISI times cited 75
V.N. Astratov, Y.A. Vlasov, O.Z. Karimov, A.A. Kaplyanskii, Yu.G. Musikin, N.A. Bert, V.N. Bogomolov, and A.V. Prokofiev, Physics Letters A 222, 349-353 (1996). ISI times cited: 60
V.N. Astratov, R.M. Stevenson, I.S. Culshaw, D.M. Whittaker, M.S. Skolnick, T.F. Krauss, and R.M. De La Rue, Appl. Phys. Lett. 77, 178-180 (2000), ISI times cited 60
Last update July, 2012